Wednesday, June 1, 2011

More from The Jura

The last few days have been filled with a little bit of everything and it's made for an interesting trip.

May 29, 2011

I set out from Arbois ready to tackle another day of biking. Within two km I had my second flat on my other tire this time. They were both ready to go at the same time I guess. It was close to midday and the sun was roasting. But I got the flat fixed and got on my way. There was a steep climb leaving town which then opened up at the top into pasture and farms. It was a nice ride but didn't particularly smell nice. I cruised on the roads unnoticed on the empty roads to a regional forest and the route de sapins. It was mostly just a nature ride, but it provided great views. The roads were really small and broken down in places so I had to be careful to not get another flat. I also saw the Sapin President which was the biggest tree in the area. Nothing super impressive, but still cool. 
I eventually made my way out of the forest and to the medieval town of Nozeroy. It was here i soon realized that the municipal campground had been shut down and was now an overnight park for RVs. I knew there was camping 15km away in Champagnole so I decided to head there for the evening. It was downhill the whole way which was good, but i knew id be making up the elevation sooner or later (than turned out to be sooner than planned). I found the camping quickly and noticed it wasn't yet open for the season. I stopped at a couple hotels... But there was no way I was paying 70€ for one night. 
My mind was whirring trying to figure out a solution. 
I could splurge and get the hotel room... Ask a farmer to stay on his land... Or go back to the RV park in Nozeroy and risk one night (camping savauge - camping in the wild is illegal in France. Not that the spot was wild at all). 
I went back the 15km to Nozeroy and set up away from plain site of the road. The hassle of finding a spot to stay disappeared immediately as I sat in front of my tent with the sun setting and an orchestra of cow bells filled the valley. It was the nicest evening I've had yet and the view was amazing.
  I ate my dinner and quietly went to bed.

May 30, 2011

When I woke up u quickly took down my stuff and packed my bike. I was approached by a Swiss fellow I had met the evening before and he invited me to breakfast with his wife and friends. Having hot tea in the morning sure sounded good so I agreed. I had bread and cheese and jam with them before setting off again. They were very nice people and it sure was nice to had a little luxury. I can carry much for weight and can't carry perishable food. 
My ride was a short one that took me to a lakeside town and campground called Malbuisson. I caught up on chores like laundry and took the afternoon easy. It was a hot day.

Overnight that changed quickly. 

May 31, 2011

It rained for most the night but stopped by morning. There were grey clouds in the sky threatening to rain but I decided to go for it. The ride was cool and misty but went well. I stopped to view a river that had cut it's way into a very skinny 60m crevice and ate lunch. After that point i could see the weather was changing up ahead. First it was mist, then light rain and then the real stuff came. I've read and now experienced, that when it rains In the Jura... It does so torrentially! I found shelter under the site of a building in a town 2km from my campsite. After 30mn of waiting the rain didn't stop at all so I decided to go for it. By the time I got to the campsite It was really coming down and i pulled into shelter. I set up my tent under a covered area and walked it to my spot (my tents really small). After getting everything in place I warmed up in the shower and put on fresh clothes. I now had one goal for the rest of the day... Stay Warm. The rain did not let up one bit all day and night. 

June 1, 2011

I woke up to the same sound I fell asleep to... Falling rain. Thankfully i was warm and dry. The rain continued all morning so I just hid out except for running to the reception area to get the bread I had ordered the night before (I was glad I made that decision). The forecast said it's supposed to warm a little tomorrow and clear up. I'm hoping that happens. For now I'm gonna go crawl back in my tent cause my fingers are numb from the cold temperatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment