Saturday, May 28, 2011

Start of The Jura

May 28, 2011

My ride today was a nice peaceful one rolling through small towns and fields. It was uneventful for the most part and I covered about 60km to get to my destination of Arbois. After waking up and eating, I loaded up my bike and hit the road. Getting out of Besançon was easy and the weather was perfect for riding. I saw lots of people touring and going for day rides in Alsace and on the canals... It sure died down today and will probably continue to stay like that for a bit. Its more of a remote area and most of the towns im heading to have populations of under a 1000 people. The town is very nice and so is the campground. It's situated right next to the municipal pool but I think I'll leave that for the kids... I don't want to be the creepy guy by himself splashing around with the teenagers and tweens haha. Arbois is known as the wine capital of the Jura and its vin jaune (yellow wine). Its made using a long undisrupted fermentation process (6 years and 3 months), which gives it's distinctive colour and taste. Arbois is also known as the town where the Pasteur family settled in 1827 and where Louis Pasteur experimented. There is a house where you can go view his lab, workshop and all the other rooms. 

The rest of the day will contain me eating and prepping for tomorrow. 

Special note: it's Kaitlyns birthday today! Shes 21 and legal everywhere! Be sure to wish her a happy birthday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment